Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Harvest

So, I have been home for a bit. With that comes working on the farm. At least a little.

Now, I have never been a good farmer. Not really even passable, but I do help... Or at least observe and occasionally provide commentary or tools.

The grain harvest is now safely gathered in. Here are some of the things I did:

1) Rode in a red version of this (this one is my uncle's - my dad's is not John Deere... which would have been considered blasphemy when my grandpa was alive)


2) Drove this:

Yes, those are tracks rather than tires. Provides more traction & power... also more difficult to steer. Turn too sharp and the dang thing will catch its tracks on the disk hitch.

3) Drove this:

Which isn't really all that bad, but I really struggle with split-shifting. On this truck there are 9 gears; you switch between them by getting the rpm's to the right level and then move your shifter - no use of the clutch. It shouldn't be difficult, but it is. And I am pretty pathetic as a farmer.

4) Saw this view:

So it has been okay.

Oh, and tomorrow is the 8-year anniversary of me leaving my mission. Kinda sad.

No comments: