Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gifts from the Field

Over the past few days I have been involved in the yearly water user group contest in my province. The farmer group that wins enters the national contest and has the chance of winning a hand tractor for their unit.

The farmers have put on quite a show as I have accompanied the contest judges from location to location. We have been treated to ballads sung by lounge-style singers and local police officers. Meals have been served at every location - often within an hour of a previous meal. Speeches have been given ad nauseum.

At one point a judge leaned over to me and said, "This isn't a contest of groups, it is a contest of speeches."

Anyways, I have walked away with some nice gifts.
A whole chicken, head included - cooked, fortunately.
5 kilograms (11 lb) of organically grown rice. And me without my rice cooker.
And these awesome-colored bananas. They are so cool! And super tasty.

Anyways, I feel pretty lucky to be doing research here.

No comments: