Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving in Absentia

Singaporeans don't celebrate Thanksgiving. They probably should, but I'm okay with it. Singapore doesn't really do holidays very well, anyways. When we have a holiday during the week, we are required to come in and work on Saturday to make up for the lost time. It kind of negates the entire purpose of having a holiday.

Anyways, I didn't celebrate this year. I gave a final exam and graded it.

But last year I did celebrate. And I made a pretty awesome stuffing. So I'm reliving it in memory. Here's the recipe:
2 Boxes of Stove Top (savory herbs flavor)
1 Can Chicken Broth
Butter
1 lb Maple Breakfast Sausage
1/2 small can of water chestnuts
1/2 onion
2 small apples
1/4-1/2 cup Craisins
1/2 cup celery
First, brown the sausage. I used sausage links, but ground sausage would work too. Drain the grease and set it aside.


Chop the water chestnuts, celery, and onion.
Then sautee them all in butter. I guess you could use something other than butter, but it won't be as good. Up to you really.

Prepare the apples and craisins.
And then add them to the sautee mixture. Continue to sautee for just a moment. Not too long, though. I didn't really time this.

Prepare the Stove Top according to the instructions on the box, but use the can of chicken broth instead of some of the water.
When it's all ready, mix it together in a nice big pan. Cover and stick in the oven at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour... give or take. Timing is really more of an art than a science.

I got ideas for this recipe from a few online websites, but I changed some of it. I don't know if that counts as plagiarizing, as I can't remember which recipes I jumbled together for the end result. Let's just say I'm throwing out a blanket reference to internet stuffing recipes all other the world.

Anywho, I guess I should just mention that I am thankful for a great many things. I've been very blessed this year. It's nice to have a job I enjoy, have sufficient money to take care of my needs, and be in a good location where I can drink water from the tap. I'm also grateful for my family and friends who keep up with me, despite my infernal wanderlust.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

PS - I'm headed out of town for the next few weeks, so I may be out of touch.

No comments: