Once I pushed my way through the protests, I reached Yaowarat Street, which is the main thoroughfare of Bangkok's Chinatown.
The street was shut down for the festivities; a cooking show was being filmed as I walked past. If you look closely, you can see the protests passing by in the background.
Moving through Chinatown, there were a number of activities going on, including karaoke. It was bad. Even I could have joined in... if any of the songs were not in Chinese.
You could also get your face painted in traditional make-up. It took a long time, though, so I passed on the opportunity.
Actors were also dressed up as characters from Chinese legends. I really wanted my own picture with them, but unfortunately I had no one to take my picture.
I had to settle for a selfie with the Monkey King. The perils of travelling alone.
Moving down the street, I got to watch a few more lion dances.
There were also a number of fresh pomegranate juice stands along the street.
Don't mind if I do.
It was a beautiful evening to be walking around enjoying the festivities.
I finished off the night walking through the Buddhist temple at start of Yaowarat Street. Those are streamers of money stapled together. When Thai people donate money to the temple, they are happy to make it as visible as possible, especially during festivals. I think it has a community-building effect.
There's another picture of the temple in an earlier post.
I enjoyed my Chinese New Year in Bangkok.
Happy year of the Horse!












No comments:
Post a Comment