Sunday, June 29, 2014

Another Year, Another Move

Continuing with my tradition of transience, I moved condos last week. So far, with the exception of a two-year stint in the same apartment in Atlanta, I have not lived in the same place for longer than one year since 1999. I did repeat living in the same apartment at USU, but we had to move out during summer months, so that address only counted for 9 months in two consecutive years.

My new place is pretty nice. By moving a little farther out of the city, my rent dropped $400/month. Size-wise, it's almost exactly the same as my previous place, but the layout is more to my liking. I'm also directly above a subway stop, which is very convenient.
I also have a great view. As I am no longer on a busy road, I also have silence in the evening, which was a little weird for the first few nights.

Here's the floor plan borrowed from the condo website. I had to flip the image for it to match my apartment, as my unit's layout is backwards. It just gives you a reference point for the pictures below.




My new place came unfurnished, so I had to get some furniture. Between Ikea, some friends who were trying to get rid of some stuff, and Craigslist, I did alright.

A comfy couch. The original owners said that it cost them close to $5,000 at a boutique furniture store on Orchard Road. I know the store, as it's near my work. The number sounds about right. I got it for much less than 10% of the original price. Can I get a "boo yeah" from the audience? I thought so. I love getting deals.
My favorite find was a $50 teak wood TV stand. It goes well with my new TV, I think. The Ikea clearance bin provided me with a $6 floor lamp to complete the ensemble.

I've ordered a floor rug to fit between the TV and the couch, but it hasn't arrived yet.
 
The kitchen area is a little sparse, but it works for me.  The built-in microwave had brought me more joy than you can imagine. I went for an entire year without a microwave in my last place.
The opposite wall is where I put one of my favorite wall-hangings. It's a gift from a friend: a Batak cloth from the Danau Toba area of Indonesia.
Just through the small hallway is my bathroom. Not really much to see here.
My bedroom is quite small, but the layout gives me more space in the living room. I prefer that.

And, yes, that is a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle riding a lion. It's Raphael. 
While checking out of Ikea the other day, I stumbled upon a great little lawn chair for my balcony. It's perfect for reading. At least until it gets too stinking hot in the morning.
If you look down from my balcony, you can see my new pool. I've also got some nice gardens, tennis courts, a gym, and a basketball court.

So that's where I'll live for the next little while. Pretty exciting...

As I just passed my one-year mark in Singapore, my thoughts have turned to my experiences over the past few months. While I've liked living here, I haven't attached to the place yet.

When I lived in Indonesia or Thailand, those places became a part of me. I created memories there that still wander through my mind almost daily. The same goes for home as well as all the places I've moved for university. Even when I haven't particularly loved the location where I was living, I have developed friendships and connections that have shaped me.

Here in Singapore, though, I still don't feel like I have developed that kind of attachment. For instance, if I were to leave tomorrow, I'm not sure I would remember or miss anything from here. I don't dislike the place; I'm very comfortable here. Even so, the city has not yet become a part of who I am.

I guess that'll be the goal for next year. I would like to find a way to connect to the place somehow, so that if or when I move from here, I'll take a little bit of it with me.

** Update: My rug arrived!
That is all.

1 comment:

Jessica Eliason said...

Are those metallic curtains?
When in Asia . . .