Wednesday, September 30, 2015

+1 with friends

It seems I'm a few months behind. Apparently I get distracted easily when it's time to blog. 

Anywho, back in July, I had a special day that comes around once a year. This cycle I didn't go on a trip, mostly because I had been traveling for over a month. I needed to stick around my office and write papers. Nevertheless, I couldn't let such a day pass with no celebratory activities. 
Thus I invited three of my young men from Indonesia to make a Singapore trip. One of them had just finished his mission in Canada, and he had not yet been to the city. They graciously accepted the invitation and arrived in time for my big day. Here we are on the Skywalk at the Gardens by the Bay. 
For a few days they kept me on my toes, visiting all the highlights of the island. 
Needless to say, there were shenanigans. 

Apparently, statues are the perfect opportunity to take rather irreverent pictures. These two are from the Singapore Zoo. 
We also visited the beach at Sentosa. I have never understood why so many of my Indonesian friends prefer not to wear beach clothes to the beach. 

Strangely enough, their favorite spot was not traveling around the city. They much more enjoyed hanging out in my apartment watching DVDs, cable TV, playing video games, and using my high speed internet. I think part of it was the air conditioning. 

Even so, I still forced them to see the sights. I'm something of a harsh taskmaster, especially on vacations.  
My forced marches through the Singapore landscape were punctuated with frequent stops, like this one at Singha the Courtesy Lion. I tend to forget that others don't necessarily embrace itineraries and schedules the way I do.  

I think they had fun. At least I hope they did. 
I enjoyed it. I even partook of a few shenanigans myself. 
Welcome to another year. It will be interesting to see what this one brings. 

No comments: