Monday, January 21, 2008

Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic

A long time ago in a land far, far away a young undergraduate student adopted Political Science as his major. He thought at that time that he would never have to use calculus or statistics again. All the world was right, and he was happy.

Fast forward to today. Many years have passed, and I am perched on the brink of my second semester of post-graduate mathematical modeling class. Yuck. If I had known that I would be forced to learn Linear Regression and Matrix Algebra and how to deal with heteroskedasticity (I'm not sure what that means either), I may have chosen History as my major! (Probably not, but I would have been better prepared to deal with calculus and statistics). I realize that this is a tool useful in the study of Political Science for some people, but perhaps not me...

So here I am at my kitchen table after dinner pouring over math books preparing for tomorrow's class on differential calculus, which somehow brings to mind a shadow from junior high. Then I was at my kitchen table after dinner pouring over math books learning Algebra.

You'd think that after more than a decade I would finally be allowed to go watch TV after dinner instead, but then you'd be wrong.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Maybe any major with "science" in the title ends up having to do advanced math anyway. If so, I'm in trouble too. Seriously, I would never have thought you would have to take classes like that. Bleh.

Bonny said...

ooo yeah anytime you do quantitative research you have to do math/stats. I learned regrssion analysis once and promptly forgot it all when I finished my thesis. Enjoy!

Charlotta-love said...

hetero-what? I don't even know how to pronounce that word!