The holidays have passed, and I have enjoyed the bounty of food, family, and fun that is home. Now I am back in the saddle and ready to take on the world... or at least my small corner of it. In doing so, I am listing out some of my resolutions. Most of the time I hate resolutions, because I rarely ever do them. They are just empty goals.
This year will be different, though. "Why?" you ask... Let me tell you. I have prepared a plan for the year, and I chose resolutions which align with my year. Thus, they are much easier to accomplish because I won't be making major adjustments to do them - not like "This year I will go to Africa" - that is a silly resolution because you are setting yourself up for failure (unless you are already planning to go to Africa). Other such resolutions are "I will exercise everyday" or "I will eat healthy." Come on - I am more likely to go to Africa than I am to exercise every day or eat healthy. Until a doctor orders me to, I don't think those resolutions will see much traction.
Instead resolutions should be "This year I will celebrate the Fourth of July." Now it doesn't matter that it is 6 months away, because you know that more than likely you will celebrate it. Thus by July 5, you can mark that one off your list. Another: "This year I will sleep almost everyday." This is an achievable goal. I can break it down into monthly and weekly goals - perhaps even daily. I leave it open with "almost" because you never know when you might pull an all-nighter.
That being said - here are my New Years Resolutions:
1) I will go to Indonesia (this is NOT the same as that silly, unbelievable Africa goal from above)
2) I will not commit any major felonies (you can borrow this one if you like)
3) I will enjoy a candy bar at least once a week (I know, I know - this might take a little effort)
4) I will celebrate Christmas (a year-long effort will be involved)
5) I will eat new and exciting foods (I saw a sign that McDonald's has a McRib sandwich nowadays)
Well, I probably have more goals, but I think that is enough for today. Good luck on all your resolutions!
2 comments:
Nice resolutions, Jake. I'm sure you will accomplish them all. I usually get kind of ambitious, but I'm not too hard on myself when/if I don't make it. This year I'm mostly focusing things I already do, but want to do better.
I'm glad you had good holidays!
Good luck with the new semester!
Please bless you don't actually eat a McRib. Ever.
Post a Comment