Sunday, December 16, 2007

Reasons for the Season

The celebrations may now begin!

I have just finished the last of my exams and final papers, so I am now free to enjoy the world around me. Last night when I sent my last paper in, I realized how close it is to Christmas. Sometimes it just sneaks right up on you. I haven't even thought about what to get for my family and friends.

So I decided to revisit something I mentioned in my last blog. Something about how Christmas comes without boxes and strings. Christmas is about something more.

Of course I am aware of the origins of Christmas - the pagan winter's solstice celebrations, etc. I am also cognizant of the fact that many consider it the same way today; turning the holiday back toward its pagan roots. For many it has become merely a celebration - one without an underlying theme or meaning.

I don't think the origins of the holiday really matter, though. Nor do the attempts to turn it into a Santa-centered affair. The holiday is special in my heart for a few reasons:

(1) It is a celebration of what I believe. I do believe that Jesus Christ was born on the earth as the son of God. He condescended to come to earth in order to provide us with a perfect example and then lay down his life so that man might overcome sin and death. Christmas, for me, is a celebration of God's gift to mankind. The most precious gift ever given.

(2) It is a celebration of family. The holidays provide a rare opportunity for me to be with the people who mean the most to me. I am consistently amazed how my career ambitions tear me away from the people that I love the most. I understand that getting an education and a good career are important, especially if someday I hope to support a family, but it is also a trade-off wherein I have to leave behind my family and relatives for most of the year. Christmas is a special time when I get to reconnect with them.

(3) It is a celebration of the human spirit. I can't name any other time of the year when I can connect with other people just by saying two words: "Merry Christmas." The smiles at that moment are genuine and the feeling is unique. We also, just for a short while, turn our thoughts and hearts toward others. We give to charities more frequently, we visit rarely-seen friends, we seek to buy gifts which will surprise and delight our loved ones. Our whole attitude reflects the best sentiments of the human soul. It is no wonder that many lament its passing as January comes.

In the end, to repeat what was stated in the last blog:
"It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
It came without packages, boxes, or bags!
And he puzzled and puzzled, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!
"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas… perhaps… means a little bit more."
And it does.

3 comments:

Haley said...

Aw... I think my heart will grow three sizes this day. :)
Thanks Jakey... hope you enjoy your holiday.

Bonny said...

wow, apparently you didn't get your fix of writing after all those papers. Nice blog post.

Happy Idaho Christmas to you!

Robin said...

Congrats on finishing the semester! Have a merry Christmas.