Beginning with a quote like that, I am sure to portray myself poorly already...
I don't know why, but it seems that Christmas begins a little earlier every year. In the Kroger down the street they brought out their Christmas candy the day after Halloween. Also, many of the local radio stations were playing nothing but Christmas music as soon as Thanksgiving ended. I personally don't think that this is good (not only because of the rampant consumerism).
Now don't get me wrong - I love Christmas and the feeling of the season as much as the next guy, but as a grad student, it just comes at the wrong time (or perhaps the end of the semester comes at the wrong time). About Thanksgiving is when school really heats up. Assignments come due, final exams are scheduled, extra meetings pop up here and there, professors need their research finished. It's just crazy.
Add on that the magic of the season, and you get one slightly despondent, lethargic grad student who is up doing homework at midnight on a Saturday (not that I don't already do that regularly - if you like doing fun things on Saturday night, don't go to graduate school) rather than attending the Christmas activity at church. I also turn into something of a Scrooge...
I don't like the commencement of the season mostly because I see everyone getting into the spirit of this time of year, but I am too busy to do so myself. In response, I avoid the music, the activities, and the holiday specials in hopes that I don't have to think about it at least until my papers are finished.
In the end, I look forward with even greater anticipation to December 17 when I hand in my last paper and hop on a plane bound for home. I suppose I shouldn't complain... I get a full 8 days of Christmas, along with almost an entire month break.
I must admit, though, that today I walked through some Christmas trees, and they smelled good enough to get me in the mood... Or it might have just been the company. So to end, I guess I can put in a more upbeat quote - one of my favorite lines:
- "It came without ribbons! It came without tags!
It came without packages, boxes, or bags! - And he puzzled and puzzled, till his puzzler was sore.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! - "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas… perhaps… means a little bit more." - from How the Grinch stole Christmas
3 comments:
I'm reading this as I take a break from working on my paper at 10:30 on a Saturday night...so I know exactly how you feel. Though I suspect you're a little more stressed than me, plus my semester ends December 9th.
Christmas makes me happy and grumpy at the same time. Grumpy because I can't get into the spirit until all my stress is out of the way!
Good luck with everything you have to do.
Cheer up Jakey! Hey, are you ever going to be in the Salt Lake area while you're in the West? Sure hope so...
You better be in the Salt Lake area...maybe on the 28th of December...for our little party. More info soon...
I remember the past two Christmases I had...I wasn't a student anymore so there was no enjoyment of several weeks off. If you're working full-time you probably only get a day or two before or after Christmas. Good luck on your stuff and remember to enjoy the long break. But I guess when you become a professor you'll still get long breaks too...so nevermind.
Post a Comment