1) Subdivisions. After living away for so long, I forget how many new houses are being built around here. It seems like everywhere I turn there is a new neighborhood (sporting a name like Peaceful Lakes or River Bend Ranch, never mind the absent lakes or rivers - for a treat visit this website) filled with windy streets (with names like Snowshoe Hare Way, Elk Avenue, and Big Bear Drive - can you get any more obnoxious?) with a bunch of houses that all look the same. It's like Wal-mart has mass produced these cheap buildings, taking good farm ground out of production so everyone can have their acre of grass (which, by the way, uses up more water and nutrients than agricultural crops and has very little benefit - think about that next time we are worried about drought, as has been the case 20 of the last 25 years).
2) Morning exercisers. A subdivision went up down the road from our house about a mile, and it seems that each of its denizens feels the need to walk/jog/bike down our road every morning from 5:30 - 7:30 am, which is also the busiest time of day for traffic on our narrow road. If I have to swerve to miss one more middle-aged speedwalker who thinks she/he must travel at least three feet from the edge of the road, I just might snap and run him/her down. For Pete's sake go get a gym membership!!!
3) Wal-mart. Rexburg has just one Wal-mart, and it is the only one from here to somewhere in Montana. Thus it draws an eclectic group from the surrounding environs. The store layout is different than any of the other Wal-marts I have been in. It is crowded, and getting assistance is difficult. Where are the dang Wal-mart Associates when you need some help???? I can't find where they put the blasted batteries.
4) Remodeled grocery stores. Thus everything is in a different place. I got so frustrated after shopping for 30 minutes and still being unable to find the batteries that I left in a huff. Why couldn't they just leave things where they were?
5) PDA, Public Displays of Affection, which I regard as ersatz love. Rexburg is the home to BYU-Idaho, meaning that there is an abundance of young people with marriage on their minds. That is fine with me. What is not fine with me is their kissing and hugging and touching in public spaces. Holding hands is fine, but if you are going beyond that, it shouldn't be in Wal-mart. Entering numerous retail establishments this morning, I failed to prepare myself for the scenes of love which were waiting for me. I think I saw at least 7 couples engaged in PDA in only one store. Please don't do that in front of the bread in the grocery store! In KMart there was a couple planted in front of the battery stand. I waited for a short while. Even after taking a brief walk through the home furnishings (I saw an awesome Batman shower curtain), they were still there. I then turned around and walked out. All I want is batteries, not to have my memory scarred forever (which is apparently too much to ask for).
6) Spending about 1 hour in town trying to buy batteries but coming home empty handed. I was kind of hoping that a speed-walker would be on the road so I could honk at them, but alas, today was not my day.
Lest you think I come home and just have a terrible time, I want to assure you that not all change is bad. I now have this view from my front yard:
5 comments:
It's called BYU-Idaho? I always thought it was BYU-I Do. :o)
I read your post yesterday morning I think and then later I was at Best Buy looking at cameras and comparing. The salesman told me that the main difference between the two is that one takes AA's and the other is a rechargeable lithium battery. On the one hand, you never have to buy batteries, but on the other hand, you can always go to 7-11 and buy batteries when yours go dead. I laughed to myself. I guess you can't always just go to 7-11. Or did you try that one?
Cassidy - That is why I was looking for batteries. If you haven't noticed, my blog has undergone renovations since I purchased a digital camera a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately we don't have a 7-11 in Rexburg. I eventually ended up back at the Wal-mart and found some (Q: Do all roads lead to Wal-mart?)
ha jake! and ha ha charlotte about the "BYU-I Do" ha ha!
Too bad we didnt' get to see you! Be safe in that one country you are going to and blog often.
I like your new farm scene in the background.
Post a Comment