Monday, April 12, 2010

An Ocean Away

Do you ever just feel like something is out of place? Like you need something but it is just out of reach, and you can't get at it, but you don't what to do about it? I did last Saturday. So I left my apartment in the early morning and drove 5 hours to the ocean.

It was spontaneous, and slightly uncharacteristic of me. I hadn't thought much about it, and I hadn't planned it. But there I was driving south on I-75 toward the Atlantic ocean.

I eventually ended up at Hunting Island State Park in South Carolina where my feet met the Atlantic Ocean for the first time. I enjoyed seeing the coast, listening to the ocean, and climbing to the top of the lighthouse there. I sat and read the Lord of the Rings for a few hours and relaxed.

I also wandered around Beaufort, SC, which is a nice little town with a lot of charm and character.

But the solution I was looking for wasn't at the beach.

That realization was a little unfortunate, but it was also necessary. Answers don't come from the ocean. Even when you've driven 5 hours to get them.

So on Sunday morning, I woke up early and decided to come back to Atlanta – even making it in time for church.

The answer hasn't come yet, but a few things did happen during my weekend trip that make today better than Friday. And I suppose that was worth the trip.

2 comments:

Robin said...

That sounds nice. I could use a spontaneous beach trip right now....

Bonny said...

Hi Jakey. Come visit. We'll reunion party and you can be the guest honor.