Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Patience

So, my favorite talk in General Conference came from President Dieter F. Uchtdorf during the priesthood session. It was about patience. If you want to listen, it is found here

I think the reason that it hit me, while much of the rest of conference did not, is that I need more patience.

Generally, I like to think of myself as a fairly patient person. I have delayed gratification in the career place by attending graduate school (5 years and counting). I often find myself waiting for funding decisions and approval from graduate school and advisors. I generally don't get angry in traffic. Heck, I even went about 3 months on my mission without a letter from anyone, yet I didn't complain at the time (later I did).

I have often absorbed the frustration and desire for a speedy turnaround and just waited.

Anyways, during the talk, I realized that my patience has waned; perhaps it has even been the wrong type. I have recently begun to think of myself as more entitled, more justified in wanting things, more weary of waiting. And so I pushed things that shouldn't have been.

The quote that most struck me from the talk was, "Patience means accepting that which cannot be changed and facing it with courage, grace, and faith."

I have a lot of things which can't be changed in life right now; I hope that I can face them with courage, grace, and faith.


.... and here's a random picture of my favorite springtime flowers in Georgia. :)

No comments: