Saturday, October 2, 2010

Choices

This weekend is General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons).

During the weekend, we listen to teachings from the leaders of our church.

Today two lessons caught my attention. The first was from Elder Robert D. Hales, who is an apostle. He spoke of agency, or the power that God has given us to choose between right and wrong.

After that talk, I was writing a letter to a friend who is a missionary in Australia. This is what I wrote:

"I was impressed today by Elder Hales' talk on agency. Truly we are 'free to choose liberty and eternal life through Jesus Christ or captivity and death.' I think that is part of the good news of the gospel. We are not fated to one or the other. Our choices define us.

"While that is comforting and empowering, it is also a little frightening. We have such responsibility that we can choose. And we can even choose wrongly.

"But that is the wonderful thing about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. No matter our wrong choices, each and every moment we have a new opportunity to make the right choice. The Lord, through his sacrifice, absolves us of our wrong choices if we choose Him. All it takes is that one right choice, to follow Him, be baptized, and partake of salvation 'without price'."

So imagine my surprise when the prophet, Thomas S. Monson got up tonight and discussed the importance of choice in our lives. He spoke to us of 3 "R's" of Choice.

1) The Right to Choose - This is a God-given blessing for each of us. We each have the power to direct our lives.

2) The Responsibility of Choice - God hasn't just given us the freedom to choose; he has also given us the tools we need to make right choices according to our knowledge. Therefore, we are responsible for the choices we make. By choosing our path every day, we choose our final destination.

3) The Results of Choice - Our choices therefore direct us. Like Alice in Wonderland, who met with the Cheshire Cat at a crossroads, we need to know where we want to go in order to make wise choices. Personally, I know my end goal is to return to be with God. And that goal is worth the sacrifices I sometimes make in getting there.

Of course, making the right choice all the time doesn't happen. Humans frequently make incorrect decisions. We forget our goals, we get distracted, we get deceived. That is where Jesus Christ comes in. His atonement can help us overcome those wrong choices.

Anyways, my choices have been playing heavily on my mind for the past few months. I had the opportunity to decide between two things that I thought would lead to my happiness.

Fortunately, through prayer and scripture study, God directed me. It wasn't easy, and I have had and will have second thoughts. But I also know it was the right decision.

So I am grateful for a prophet and God's mercy toward me in both granting me choice and directing me toward good ones. If you want to find out more, just click on the link at the top of this post.
2 Nephi 2:27

No comments: