Sunday, October 10, 2010

What to do with a Gourd?

It is a common dilemma. You return home from your neighborhood grocer and realize you just bought a squash because it looked pretty. The regret sinks in, and you wonder what to do with said butternut, acorn, spaghetti, or hubbard. Of course a seasonal centerpiece could be the answer, but you aren't really in that kind of mood.

Have I got the fall-time solution for you! But you'll need more than just a squash.

  • 1 squash (tried with acorn and butternut so far - acorn worked better)
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 can of chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • other spices as desired (I used clove & nutmeg)
  • some dates or raisins (optional... also, have you had any good dates recently??? hahaha!)
Cooking:

Step 1 -
  • Cut your squash in 1/2 and scoop out the innards (get rid of them - they are gross)
  • Cut up your onion
  • Dice your zucchini & sweet potato
  • Cut up the dates (if you got 'em) - raisins can go in as is
  • Open the can of chickpeas
  • Preheat the oven to 375

Step 2 -
  • Place your squash (cut side down) in a pan with a touch of olive oil in it
  • Put in all the other stuff, too
  • Use seasonings as desired
  • Pour in the orange juice and some olive oil over everything (not too much - just a tad)
Step 3 -
  • Cover with tin foil and stick in the oven for 40 minutes (or more) until your squash is done.
Then you can eat it. With rice perhaps. Or something else. Up to you really.

And now you don't have to deal with that pesky gourd any more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks fantastic! That's what I imagined the other day, but it looks a lot better then I had imagined. Thanks so much for posting that! I'm on my way to try it. Thanks Jake!

Bonny said...

So... was it good?

Jake said...

Bonny - yes, I think it was. I was disappointed, though, at the squash. It took way too long to cook. I think I should have chopped it into smaller pieces.