Thursday, February 17, 2011

Gym Girl

I recently started a gym membership here - mostly because I found I wasn't keeping in shape riding my motorbike around all day. Go figure.

Usually I attend from 6-7 am (yes, I get up at 5:30 am to go), but on Monday I went in the afternoon. Apparently that is when all the women go as well for aerobics. Of course, because it is a Muslim country, the women work out downstairs, and the men upstairs. We only see one another at the water cooler.

During my water cooler break, a young woman approached and started a conversation. I figured she wanted to practice her English, so I obliged. We talked for 2-3 minutes, and I ended up giving her my phone number - before you judge the wisdom of that act, I give everyone my phone number (via my business card).

I thought that was it. We would practice English at the water cooler if we saw each other again. Apparently she thought otherwise. Here is the transcript of the sms conversation we had later -

Gym Girl (GG): Hi! What are you doing tonight? It is Valentine's Day!
Me: I am with friends. Hope you have a a good one.
GG: What are you doing? Do you have a Valentine? Do you want to get dinner?
Me: I am with friends. Busy. See you at the gym.
GG: I would like it to be sooner.
----- then she called me, I answered and said, "I'm busy right now - perhaps another time."
----- sms again
GG: Sorry to bother. I was just thinking about you! Don't know why... :)

Yes, that was awkward. Then the next morning we had another sms conversation.

GG: Hi! Are you on campus today? Want to get lunch?
Me: I am not on campus today. Kinda busy.
----- then she called me, I didn't answer.
----- sms again
GG: Sorry to bother, I just wanted to hear your voice. :)
Me: Can't talk right now. Busy. See you at the gym sometime.
GG: Hope it is soon!

My friends refer to this type of girl as a "white man hunter." Fortunately for her I am not a serial rapist, murderer, or even slightly shady character. If I was, I could completely take advantage of her and any number of other women who tend to throw themselves at me.

Unfortunately for me, this is not a rare event either here or in Thailand.

When a woman in Indonesia sees me she sees five characteristics: (1) White; (2) Rich; (3) American - aka ticket to a green card; (4) Indonesian-speaking; (5) High social standing due to my education; (6) Potential to father half-white babies, which are very desirable here.
Really, it is the perfect storm.

I can't blame any of these women for being forward - they are trying to enhance their social standing in one of the few ways afforded them in this country. Even so, I would rather not be the focus of their amorous intentions.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Lol. Yeah, you know life's rough when women throw themselves at your feet ;). You're my favorite. Want me to send you a baseball bat to fend them off?