I am often reminded that I live on a tropical island.
For example, on Saturday afternoon a friend and I decided to go to the beach for lunch. The beach is a 30-minute motorbike ride to the south. We invited some Indonesian friends and got on our way.
We arrived at a small market near the beach where we browsed for a few minutes before buying 1 large fish, 2 smaller fish, 1 kg of medium shrimp, 1/2 kg of large shrimp, and a good-sized squid for 80,000 rupiah (about $8.50).

Then we carried our purchase to a stall near the beach where we paid a nice woman to cook everything for us and provide us with drinks and rice for 40,000 rupia (about $4.25). The fish were baked in spices, the medium shrimp were breaded and fried, the large shrimp were put on kebobs and roasted, and the squid was cooked in a stir-fry.

It was delicious. Fresh seafood, eaten to the sounds of waves crashing. Then a post-lunch walk on the beach.
It is nice to live on a tropical island.
No comments:
Post a Comment