Originally my trip
was to end in Medan, but a week or two before departing one of my
favorite people in the world, my old Indonesian tutor, contacted me.
He now lives in Sumatra near a town called Pekan Baru. Turns out he
had a little free time and could do some traveling. I canceled my
original plane ticket and hunted down some new ones so I could go see
him... Kind of expensive, but totally worth it to see a dear friend.
Pekan Baru isn't
much for tourism; it sits right on the equator and is extremely hot.
The city basically exists for the oil and forestry industries. We
decided to visit West Sumatra for the weekend.
Our destination
was Bukit Tinggi, a city known for its pleasant climate and beautiful
surroundings.
Bukit Tinggi sits
high in the mountains overlooking a scenic gorge.
The gorge is
well-equipped with monkeys.
It is also the
site where the Japanese army in the 1940s, while occupying Indonesia,
built a series of caves where they kept ammunition, made surprise
attacks, and tortured their Indonesian prisoners.
After a short time
in Bukit Tinggi, we rented a motorbike and headed for Lake Maninjau.
The lake, like Toba, is in the crater of a volcano. Unlike Toba, it
is much smaller. It is famous for the 44 switchbacks necessary to
reach it from the mountains.
Here is my friend
on the motorbike as we started down to the lake.
It
was beautiful.
While
we were there, we tried some of the local dishes called Pesi, which
involved fish of some sort. I ate it and kinda liked it. Shortly
thereafter I was sick to my stomach.
Other
than that, I also tried to paddle a sinking canoe.
Shortly
thereafter it capsized. And, yes, I am that white.
We
also watched the sunset from the top of a nearby mountain.
Well,
at least we watched until the clouds settled over the mountain and
blocked the view.
The
next day we headed back to Pekan Baru so my friend could get back to
his job. Along the way we stopped for a picture next to the 44th
switchback.
We
also saw some cool scenery on the way.
After
my friend went back to work, I had a full day in Pekan Baru without
much to do. Rather than sit at the hotel, I wandered around the city.
It was definitely not my favorite place. There aren't many tourists,
so everyone watched me very closely. Not in a bad way, but just
because they were curious. I got to chat with many of them. It is
interesting to meet new people.
Beggars
followed me around, too. That was less fun. At one point I was
approached by seven beggars in less than ten minutes.
Anyways,
it was worth it to see my friend. After two years much has changed,
but I believe it is always worth the effort to see old friends.
The
next day I was on a plane back home to Jogjakarta. Thus ended my
two-week post-research trip.





2 comments:
Hey Jake, I heard you would be visiting our side of the ocean over the Christmas break. We'll be in Utah and would love to get together, can I get your email...mine is jlgedge@gmail
That is quite the trip! I love the photo of you in the sinking canoe :)
Post a Comment