I have been out of the country for
about a year. This means that my knowledge of family events was
pretty limited; mostly a smattering of information that somehow
filtered across the ocean via e-mails.
Thus I have been a little surprised to
hear about the rough year many people in my extended and immediate
family have had. I've got a lot of family (about 80 some-odd
individuals on my mother's side, 50 or so on my father's side), so we
are bound to have our fair share of trials. This year, though, seems
rougher than usual. Between death, disease, divorce, and debt, not
to mention spiritual struggles, I was a bit taken back.
So I have spent some time thinking
about trials during my scripture study.
God has declared that he will try his
people in all things (D&C 136:31). Taking it a step further, God
says that his people must be tried “even as Abraham” in order to
be worthy of his kingdom (D&C 101:4; see Genesis 22: 1-12 for the
Abraham story).
Sometimes it seems that these trials
are either too difficult or unfair, which are both apt judgments. Oft
times the struggles we face are not of our own making. Even those
that are seem beyond our individual capacity to overcome or to endure
in a faithful manner.
Because of this, the Lord provides a
promise. He has stated, “my grace is sufficient for all men that
humble themselves before me” (Ether 12: 27).
What then is this grace?
Grace is “unmerited divine assistance
given humans for their regeneration or sanctification”
(Merriam-Webster online dictionary). We often think of this assistance coming in the form
of angels or miracles or God's pardons at the final judgment day. I
think, though, that this is problematic, as it makes us imagine grace
as something out of our immediate reach.
On the contrary, the gospel of Jesus
Christ, including his grace, can be active in our lives (Alma 34:31).
So where does grace fit in our everyday life?
For me it comes in the form of a friend
when I need one. Or a calling to work with the young men in a branch
in Indonesia. Or a beautiful sunrise or flower. Or a piece of pizza
or chocolate. Or the blessing that comes with forgetting the pain of an
experience, even when I think I don't want to or won't be able to. In
essence, God's grace emerges in my life in the tender mercies I
experience each day (1 Ne 1:20; see also this talk by David Bednar).
Of course, I could view most of these
things as chance occurrences, but I don't think they are. I believe
that God, as a loving Father, knew that this world would be difficult
and painful. Much of this would be necessary; much would just be the
consequences of our own or others' agency. Because God will not
violate man's freedom of choice, which meant that he couldn't protect
us from pain, he, through his grace, sent these blessings to help us
through.
Even, or perhaps especially, when we don't deserve them. Remember that grace is "unmerited."
1 comment:
Good thoughts, Jake. Thanks! I hope things get better for your family.
Post a Comment