Anyways, I arrived on Friday night. As I stepped out of the plane door, I was reminded of the smell that is Bangkok. Hot, humid, and just a whiff of something rotting in the swamp. But I had little time for such things. It was almost midnight, and I had to make my way through immigration ("Excuse me sir, I have never seen this type of visa." "It's a research visa" "Hmmmm... I'll have to ask" "Do you need my paperwork?" "No"... 5 minutes of consultation with an equally confused manager and then a 90-day entry stamp).
Finally I arrived at my somewhat seedy hotel right behind The Poseidon, a huge "massage and entertainment" complex.
Here was the view from my hotel the first morning (sorry, no photo of The Poseidon):
As you can probably tell, there is a permanent layer of smog here.
I spent most of the morning looking for apartments. I had set a budget of 8,000 baht (about $260), which actually left me a number of good options. The problem was that I didn't like any of them.
So I broke my budget and got a place for 9,000 baht ($300). It is pretty nice with a good location. I'm on the 11th floor. The building has a pool and fitness area - pretty much the same as what I had in Atlanta (where my portion of the rent was $750).
| My seating area - lots of mirrors. |
| The built-in cabinets - more storage than I could ever need. |
| The view from the kitchen |
I hopped on the subway planning on visiting the touristy area. When I got off I was met with this:
A huge, brand new mall. It definitely wasn't there when I came here a year ago. It was beautiful - nicer than any mall I have ever seen in the USA. Each floor is dolled up to look like a major world city. San Francisco, Paris, London, etc. I'll take some pictures sometime.
Anyways, so I live in Bangkok now. Tomorrow I have to go report myself to the National Research Council and say goodbye to another $300 deposit, so that'll be fun... I guess. This research thing is getting expensive. By the end of this week, I'll have over a thousand dollars tied up in deposits in Bangkok, which I think is a little fishy. On the other hand, if the dollar tanks in the next six months, I'll make a healthy return when I get the money back. Always a bright side, right?
2 comments:
Um, can I come visit you? My friend and I have been talking about potential spring break options and you just made Thailand seem like a good option for a place to travel! That mall sounds amazing, thai food is delicious and I could finally get that stamp in my passport...
Your apartment looks really nice!
Post a Comment