Usually I don't take pictures while I am working. Really, it wouldn't be very exciting.
When I go on trips to the field, though, things are different. After Kitti and I passed the elephant village, it was all work and no, or at least limited, play.
I stayed in Sisaket, a city in the Northeast of Thailand. It is a fairly small town, which makes things quite cheap. I spent three nights at a new hotel in town for about $12/night. Here are some pictures of the town.
 |
| Here is the town's central shrine. |
 |
| The street signs are shaped like the ruins near the town. |
 |
| Evening at the temple. |
 |
| The town's main temple. |
 |
| Novice monks on their morning rounds. |
During the day, I would travel to meet with the farmer's groups that are the subjects of my study. I visited with two, discussing with farmers, local leaders, and government officials about how the water user group was formed and what support it gets from the government.
 |
| Me muttering something incomprehensible. |
 |
| A farmer trying to explain the canal system to me. |
 |
| The first group in front of their office. |
 |
| Me with the District Chief and some Irrigation Officials |
 |
| At the field pavilion where the second group meets. |
 |
| Farmer leaders. |
 |
| The Vice President of the group welcoming me. |
My main host for the few days was an Irrigation Department official, who assisted me in visiting the groups and arranging appointments for me. He and his family also treated me very, very well.
 |
| At lunch. |
 |
| They took me to the local aquarium. |
 |
| The daughter served as my personal assistant and photo model for the trip. |
If my dissertation turns out half-way decent, it will only be because of the kindness of strangers who have helped me along the way. I am very grateful for their hospitality.
No comments:
Post a Comment