Friday, June 22, 2012

Wat Pho

Just a short walk from Wat Phra Kaew is Wat Pho. 
Wat Pho is famous for two things. The first is its massage school. The temple is renowned as a training center in Thai massage. 

Thai massage is very different from European-style massages (or any dirty massages you might think Thailand is famous for). Thai massage, properly done, is conducted fully clothed with no oils or funny business. The masseuse puts pressure on a number of different points around the body and twists and turns you, stretching a number of muscles which you didn't know needed stretching. It can be painful, but it is also very relaxing. I am going to miss Thai massages when I go home. 

Anyways, the Wat Pho school is open for anyone who wants to come learn. You just have to pay a course fee, and you can become a masseur. I thought about it once or twice, but the truth is that I prefer to be on the receiving end of the massage. 

The second thing Wat Pho is famous for is a giant reclining Buddha. 
Heads...
and Tails. 
The feet have a number of scenes from Buddha's life depicted on them using mother of pearl. It is something worth seeing. Plus at 100 baht entry fee, you'll think it's a steal after Wat Phra Kaew, AND they give you a bottle of water!!!
The rest of the temple is also quite beautiful. It is a sprawling complex with a number of interesting things to see. I don't recommend going in the middle of the day, though, as it is extremely hot. I quit taking pictures in favor of hiding in some shade and enjoying my bottle of water which the good people at Wat Pho had provided. 
Of course there is a Buddha image in the main temple. 
Around main temple is a courtyard of flags. I had to wander a bit to find my home country's flag. 
There it is, right in front of the temple next to the Thai flag. After living in Indonesia (which I did love very much), I am grateful for the close relationship between the Thai and US governments. It makes life so much easier as an American conducting research here. 

Anyways, so that's Wat Pho. Definitely worth a trip. 

No comments: