If you head straight south from That Phanom, you'll run across one of Thailand's less-visited provinces: Mukdahan. I really like Mukdahan. I visited in 2004 and really enjoyed the laid-back feel of the town.
My friends from Sakon Nakhorn took me here again this visit. Here's what we saw, going North to South:
This area is called Keng Ka Bao, and it is north of Mukdahan town. I don't really know what it was supposed to be, but my friends were excited to see it.
It was supposed to be some cool rocks in the middle of the Mekhong River. You can see Laos across the way. The rocks weren't really impressive. If you have been hoping and dreaming to see Keng Ka Bao your whole life, I won't stop you, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Once you get to the city, though, you can visit the infamous Indo-China market. Truthfully it used to be more impressive. Mukdahan was, and still is, the entry point for many goods coming from Laos and Vietnam. Once upon a time, this was where you could find animal pelts, herbal medicines, and a number of other slightly legal things.
Now you'll find a lot more jewelry.
Handbags.
Vietnam memorabilia.
And Barbies. Lots and lots of Barbies (Made in Vietnam).
Just to the south of town, you'll find the Mukdahan observation tower. You might ask, why have an observation tower in Mukdahan? I ask, why not?
The bottom floors are taken up by a museum, which was unfortunately under renovation. There were some interesting presentations about the different ethnic groups and languages spoken in the area.
Then you can get in the elevator to go to the observation deck. From the top, which costs 20 baht ($0.50), you get a great view of the city, the surrounding countryside, and Laos.
If you wander up one floor above the observation room, you find a small, hot room with a Buddhist shrine. Here I tried my luck at getting a fortune. You shake the little cup full of sticks until one falls out. I got number 15. You then go to a board nearby and read the corresponding fortune. Mine said something about me being unlucky in love this week.
Tell me something I don't know.
Traveling south of town another 10 kilometers or so, you come across the Phu Pha Thoeb National Park. It is just a short distance up the bank from the Mekhong River. This was my favorite part of Mukdahan this time around.
The park is a series of stones which have been worn down by the wind and rain into very distinctive shapes. It is similar to Arches National Park in Utah. Kinda.
I, of course, had to conquer each one.
I let my inner Indonesian out in a few jumping poses.
Top of the crown.
Here are my friends. They were appropriately embarrassed by my antics on the rocks.
Here, let me help straighten that rock for you.
Just in case you wonder, I was very careful not to damage any of the rock formations.
Unfortunately we arrived too late in the afternoon to take the full hike around the park. It is a few kilometers and apparently involves cliffs, caves, and more rock shapes. I would have loved to do it. Gives me reason to go back someday, I suppose.
Now you've seen some of unseen Mukdahan. Since you've seen it, I guess they need to change the sign.
No comments:
Post a Comment