Last week I made my way down to Chinatown to look at the lanterns as part of the annual Chinese Autumn Festival.
A few city blocks in the Chinatown area are decked out with thousands of lanterns. It's quite festive... just as a festival should be.
That night an entire street was blocked off to make room for, you guessed it, festivities!
One of my friends and his wife live on the tenth floor of a building next to the venue, so I took a picture from their balcony.
Back down on the street people could walk freely under the lanterns.
Unknown to me, that night there was also a concert. It was primarily Chinese music. I really didn't understand any of it. Even so, I was able to enjoy a angklang performance (Indonesian bamboo instrument).
At the end of the concert, the master of ceremonies as well as some local leaders in the Chinatown community gathered in front of the stage.
There they released lanterns into the sky as fireworks rose from the roof of the building behind them.
I enjoyed it. Fortunately I was in the right place at the right time for the event.
It's fun to live in Singapore sometimes. Good job Chinatown.








No comments:
Post a Comment