A few weeks ago I was arranging to send money to pay my student loans, and I realized my frugal living meant I had a bit of a surplus. The wise choice would have been to apply the excess to my loans or establish some extra savings, but rather than delay gratification again, I chose to spend it on a trip. It was rather uncharacteristic of me. Unfortunately, I don't have much free time until the term ends in December.
As I thought about what to do, I decided I wanted to fly the young men who finished their missions to Singapore for a quick weekend trip. Since flights are cheap, and I had a place to stay here, it was pretty easy and inexpensive to get them here.
Anyways, this weekend the first two of them flew to Singapore. Here's a picture from the Gardens by the Bay.
I couldn't handle all five at the same time in my tiny apartment, so the other three will come at the end of the month.
Well, it was great fun to have them here. It seemed that we traversed the island catching all the highlights. I tried to find new things to see, but we overlapped a great deal with places I have already been a few times.
So Haw Par Villa and the 10 stages of Hell happened again.
We incorporated ourselves into some of the scenery.
The Chinese Gardens were nice.
Fed some turtles (yes, those are all turtles).
Lazer show at Marina Bay... It's near the Merlion, so we scratched that one off the list as well that evening.
We hit up Sentosa Island and took a picture in front of Universal Studios. We didn't go in. At over $50 a person, it was beyond my price range.
Visited the "Southern Most Point of Continental Asia" just off the coast of Sentosa Island. It's a point sharply contested by Malaysia. Singapore argues that they are connected to Continental Asia via bridge, thus it still counts. I'm not sure I buy their logic.
But it's a fun sign.
We stopped in Chinatown for some delicious Schezuan food. I also took them out for their first-ever Indian food. They liked both the Chinese and Indian dishes, although strangely their major food request was Burger King. Not one to be a spoilsport, I also took them to BK.
Anyways, it was great fun. Also, I'm not as young as I once was. A few days of travel pretty much did me in. I'm looking forward to the next round, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment