Unfortunately, due to a number of circumstances, I wasn't able to extend my trip beyond the conference dates. This left me with only a few hours outside of conference time to explore the city. Even so, I enjoyed my time in Australia.
It began on Tuesday morning. I had flown a red-eye from Singapore, and I arrived at about 5 am. Immediately I boarded a train for Central Station.
![]() |
| Outside the Central Train Station looking toward Downtown |
![]() |
| A Catholic Church next to the University of Notre Dame, Sydney |
Downtown Sydney exhibits a great deal of character. It's an old city, and many of the buildings are artistic, a vast difference from Singapore's modern vibe. Even the more modern parts of Sydney have an artistic flair.
Well, I wandered toward the University for the conference. I didn't really know what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised when I walked up the hill before the campus.
The campus was beautiful. My campus is brand new, as our university is only 15 years old. That means we enjoy some wonderful benefits of modern buildings, advanced technology, and unified architecture. Unfortunately, that also means we miss out on the ambiance of historic universities.
![]() |
| I wish I had one of these on my campus |
![]() |
| There were actual academic offices up these stairs. It would be awesome to have an office in this building. |
![]() |
| Beautiful stained-glass depictions of ships arriving in Sydney |
![]() |
| Complete with gargoyles on the banisters |
![]() |
| This was the creepiest gargoyle... he stared into my soul |
Sydney's campus was amazing. I felt as though I had stepped into the halls of Cambridge or Oxford. It was a wonderful place to have a conference.
I only had a few hours outside the conference to enjoy the city, so what time I had, I spent near the quay. One evening we ate dinner at a restaurant near the docks where we could enjoy the beaming opera house across the water.
It appears smaller than it does in all the postcards. Despite that, it was still impressive.
After dinner, I walked back to my hotel along George Street, which is the main artery of the city. It leads through Chinatown and Thaitown. Yes, Sydney has a Thai town. The city is home to the largest population of expat Thais outside of Los Angeles. I loved walking down the street and hearing people speak Thai.
The next day, after the conference ended, I took the afternoon to return to the quay during daylight hours with another of the conference attendees. I walked up to the Opera House and was surprised to find that it was coated with eggshell ceramic tiles. I had never imagined that its exterior would look like a bathroom wall.
The skyline was beautiful that day.
I also enjoyed some local treats. Chocolate cafes line the shore, and I tried this fancy chocolate cheesecake. It was overpriced and a little too rich for my tastes, but you're only in Sydney so often, right?
![]() |
| Chalk drawing of the Last Supper |
![]() |
| The tallest building in Australia |
After the sun set, I wandered around the city. It was the eve of Anzac Day, a national holiday commemorating Aussie veterans who have fought overseas, so crowds were teeming in the streets. Australians sure like their holidays. They also seem to party a lot, including the consumption of a great deal of alcohol.
I found these delightful little treats. It's a truffle, I think. Really tasty.
Well, the next morning I had hoped to enjoy a little more of the city, but it was raining. I made a quick stop in McDonald's for breakfast, which tastes a lot better than in the USA. The sausage they use has a different seasoning, and it's much more delicious.
The rain finally quit as I made my way to the airport. It gave me a nice backdrop as I boarded the plane.
My flight home was not as pleasant as I would have liked. I sat next to a family with two small children who were not very happy to be on a plane. Between them and the multitude of other young families on the plane, the babies kept each other going for almost the entire flight. The 8 hours of screams still echo in my ears. The end of the flight was the very worst, as air pressure changes intensified the pitch of their peals.
I love kids, but by the time we landed in Singapore I felt like writing a letter to the airline to ask that they provide a small soundproof room to house children during long flights.
Well, that's enough complaining for me tonight. I do recommend Sydney. It's a nice place. Just don't forget your earplugs for the flight.




















No comments:
Post a Comment