Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bangledeshi Foods

Here is a map of Bangladesh. It is a relatively new country, only coming into existence as presently constituted in 1971, when it split from Pakistan. I know what you are thinking - Pakistan? That is on the other side of India!

It is true. Bangladesh was once called East Pakistan. India was split into India and Pakistan in 1947 because of the religious divisions (Pakistan was supposedly Islamic while India was Hindu ... don't get me started on that mess). Well until 1970, the densely populated East Pakistan got along OK with West Pakistan, but a cyclone happened and the government in Islamabad didn't respond well. Underlying tensions came to a head and after a civil war of sorts (India also played a role - how couldn't it? Its right in the middle), Bangladesh and Pakistan split.

Well, after that lengthy introduction, I am talking about Bangladesh because I ate at a Bangladesh restaurant last night. I was driving back from AutoZone where I bought a new engine air filter for my car, and I saw a sign for Bangladeshi food. Later that night my friends and I decided to go out to eat. I said, "Lets try Bangladesh food!" Everyone was amenable to it, so we went.

One of the interesting things about Atlanta is how many cultures are in close proximity. The Bangladesh restaurant was nestled between an Ethiopian place and an El Salvador place. Cool, huh?

So we had a new culinary experience. The food was great. We had a variety of curries and some fried breads. Tasty. In the end, I recommend trying some Bangladeshi food if you get the chance. We had a very nice time, the servers were very helpful and walked us through the menu and taught us how to eat the food. That's all I have to say about that.

3 comments:

Haley said...

I'm going to research whether or not there are some Bangladesh-y restaurants in the Salt Lake area. It might be a fun adventure, and I know some people that would be brave enough to come with me. Thanks Jakey! You're my inspiration.

Bonny said...

Georgia is the best!

I think i'm not brave enough to try all the weird sorts of food here...plain southern food is a strange enough adventure for me.

Robin said...

Haley, if you find one, invite me!
I only have one brave friend, and I don't hang out with him anymore.