Sunday, June 22, 2008

Another day, Another dollar

Hey all,

My adventures continue. This week they included learning to make some Indonesian food - don't ask me the names. I have forgotten more Indonesian in the past week than I ever learned in a year at school. This is our teacher, Ibu Tini, in front of the product of cooking class (she's a sweetheart).

I also got to go to Borobudur. It is the largest temple in the southern hemisphere. Yes, I am in the southern hemisphere. It took me a few days to figure out why the sun was always in the north; I felt pretty silly after being confused all the time about why the sun never went south of me.


Anyways - Borobudur was built by an ancient kingdom on Java (the island I am on). It was built before Islam came to Indonesia, and it is a Buddhist temple. I am amazed to think about how much man-power was involved in creating a stone temple like that.

The next day we went white water rafting. No pictures, cause my camera really isn't waterproof. Once I get copies of some, I will try to scan them and put them up here.

Anyways, on the raft trip, we passed a few places where people use the water for bathing and such. A lot of skinny-dipping going on. At one point, a group of young boys (8-11 years old), nekked as jay-birds, assailed our rafts. They boarded the raft in front of mine. It was pretty funny. My raft just got a lot of water splashed on us.

Every once in a while, like yesterday as I floated down a canyon through a jungle in Indonesia, I remember that I have pretty much the most awesome job in the world. I am able to study a subject I enjoy, I work with great people, and I get to see amazing places as part of my career. I am pretty darn lucky - if only the pay were better.

3 comments:

Bonny said...

hey jakey. seems like you're doing good in where ever you are. Thanks for keeping the blog up to date. I miss Georgia, do you?

Elizabeth Garcia said...

So does this mean you'll be cooking some Indonesian food when you get back? I volunteer to be a guinea pig :)

Haley said...

Jeez, you're far away. I admire your adventuresomeness. Yes, it's a word.