Friday, August 12, 2011

Bathroom Surprise

Indonesia regularly provides me with surprises. Some make me smile, some make me sad, some are soul-crushing, and some can set my heart pounding.

The other night I had one of those heart-pounding surprises. I was preparing for bed when I went out to brush my teeth. As I have mentioned before, my bathroom is semi-open air. This means that a range of creatures have found their way in during the 7 months I have been here. From butterflies and ants to cats and rats, I am generally prepared for it. Usually I spy them when I turn on the light.

Like normal, I flipped on the light and gave the bathroom a quick once-over. No creatures to be seen. As I was getting ready to brush my teeth, though, something big shot through the air from the shadowy corner past me. It landed with a heavy thud. I jumped, but to my credit I didn't scream.
A large tree frog had planted itself right next to my sink. After a moment, I gathered my wits and snapped a picture before it jumped six feet to the tree in my bathroom, where it disappeared into the darkness.

I love where I live.

2 comments:

H said...

that is a surprise.

Anonymous said...

Won't miss the cats and rats, but lizards were kind of fun. Only scared me a couple times. Never actually saw a frog inside my place, but sounds like you handled it with ease!