Today it is just a quiet place to visit with good weather.
Anyways, I haven't found time to go this year until Monday. Partly because traveling there is rather difficult, partly because I have already done just about everything touristy there is to do there, and partly because I have been busy with work and church responsibilities. Missing Sunday in Jogjakarta is difficult.
Last week I was invited to attend irrigation meetings in Malang, and I jumped at the chance despite the lengthy travel involved.
Oh, and the Ramadhan music they kept playing was terrible. It is fairly similar to sappy Christmas music. The music industry should be banned from turning a buck on religious feelings and holidays. It is a recipe for sub-standard talent to profit off our more worthy emotions; I think an example in the USA is "Christmas Shoes" by NewSong.
Anyways, speaking of religion, Malang's town square (alun-alun) has an interesting feature. A large mosque and a large church are neighbors.
The vast majority of Muslims here are happy to share their country with other religious groups, but it seems that groups espousing a Middle-Eastern interpretation of Islam are becoming more vocal and violent. Truly unfortunate.
Anyways, I took a few scenery pictures. Here are some food sellers sitting outside the town square:
More important than the scenery, though, was my visit to see my friends. I revisited my language teachers and tutors from last year.
I also visited my old host family. I was lucky to visit when I did. They are moving in about one week. After last year, when the father passed away, the mother decided they needed a smaller house. I enjoyed catching up with her and chatting about her grandchildren.
It was nice to see the house one more time as well. It will always hold a special spot in my heart.
Anyways, after about 36 hours in Malang, many of which were spent in boring meetings, it was time to board another train bound for Jogja. Seven hours later, give or take, I was home.
3 comments:
Glad you were able to do a trip to Malang! Sounds like it was a good experience and good timing. I loved the angkots there. Not there long enough to figure out routes, but it was great to just hop on and hop off and to have them pass by so frequently!
Yeah, I kind of got the feeling that Ramadan is for Muslims what Christmas season is for Christians. Commercialism, sappiness, and everything. I'd rather do Christmas, though...Haven't heard "Christmas Shoes," so I'll have to look that one up. But I totally agree about the music industry thing.
"Christmas Shoes" is the worst song on earth. I have been saying this for years!
Robin, you are right - Christmas Shoes is the worst song ever. Libby, you can just skip that one.
Post a Comment