When I lived in Utah a long time ago, people would refer to young men preparing for their missions as "Premees." The spelling is probably wrong. I suppose it doesn't matter with invented words, at least those yet to be canonized in a dictionary.
Anyways, I received some sad news the other day. One of our premees is leaving on Monday. For financial reasons, he is moving to Jakarta to work for a few months before his mission. Because of the cost of traveling around the country, he will enter the mission field from there rather than return home.
So I called a pizza night. I promised a while ago to teach the young men how to make pizza back when it seemed like their departure dates might never arrive. Funny how those types of things get put off until you realize that time is short.

So I got some flour, yeast, and oil, and we made pizza dough. I had to compromise on the sauce, as I was short on time and ingredients. Some second-rate spaghetti sauce had to do.
Other toppings included red onions, tomatoes, and some weird sausage that the young men picked themselves. I also bought some mozzarella cheese ($5 for a small package here).

We started by making the pizzas on the stove top because I didn't trust the church's oven. Eventually, though, the young men decided they wanted oven-baked pizza. Against my better judgement I gave in. This led to a number of oddly-shaped little pizzas.

I think everything turned out alright, although the young men went a little crazy with the mozzarella and used it up long before we ran out of pizza ingredients. The pizza was decent, although spaghetti sauce in this country leaves much to be desired.
We finished the evening off by watching the "Lamb of God" dvd (thanks Mom) played on the computer in the clerk's office because the church's dvd players hate me.
When I pulled my camera out, all sorts of shenanigans ensued.

Why is it so hard to just smile nice for a picture?

Anyways, these are some of my favorite people. The Indonesia Jakarta mission is getting a good group.
1 comment:
Looks like fun! But sad, too. I love the romantic picture of them feeding each other pizza.
Post a Comment