Friday, August 9, 2013

It's National Night

August 9 is Singapore's Independence Day. Since I didn't have my American Independence Day, I have anticipated the fireworks and the celebrations.

Unfortunately, in order to attend the parade, one must have tickets. Funny that. Apparently only around 30,000 folks can watch live. So I had to watch from the comfort of my bean bag chair in my condo.

Well, I decided to go down to the Marina and see the preparations the night before.
There was a laser light show from the Marina Bay Sands.
Also, my new camera has a panorama feature, so I tried it. Just click on the picture for a larger version. It is a little fuzzy, but generally a decent picture.
I also took a self-portrait. I really struggled with the positioning, but it kinda worked.
I then walked around the quay and the river. In a pedestrian underpass, this young fellow was singing Howie Day's "Collide." He was quite good. Good enough that I dropped a dollar in his guitar case, and that rarely happens. I took the picture from a distance to respect his privacy. Sorry about the fuzziness.

The point where the Singapore River enters the Marina is surrounded by some of the most interesting buildings in the city. I enjoy walking in this area at night. The weather was perfect - I wasn't even sweating!
Here's the Fullerton Hotel. It's a beautiful building.
Here's the main offices of my bank. I think it's the tallest building on the river.
Finally, lights reflecting on the water.

I finished off the night eating some shrimp wonton soup at a street vendor, then I hopped a bus home. I'm fortunate enough to live on a direct bus route to the Marina. Living in the city here is very different from anywhere I've ever stayed before.

For National Day, I watched the "parade" on tv before the fireworks started. The parade is actually more similar to a variety show with performances by local talent and military displays. It was very interesting to watch and compare the events to those I have watched in the US.

With such a small country, individual communities don't set up their own celebrations. There is only one national event. Very different from Whoopee Days in Rexburg.

Anyways, after the parade, I watched the fireworks from my condo. Here are some pictures:




Happy National Day, Singapore!

1 comment:

Haley Smedley said...

JAKEYJAKEYJAKEY! I hope this tells you when you get a comment, since your last post was like a month ago. I never read the follow up post to my post until now, so here I am!
My new email address is haleymsmed@gmail.com . If you can still find your email to me in sent-email-land, you should re-send it to an address where I'll actually read it. Please oh please get this. :)