Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Breakfast

The past few weeks I have gotten up a little before 6 am, showered, read scriptures, and then at 7 am, I walk out to the street where I buy "nasi kucing" or "cat rice." Cat isn't really a major ingredient. The name comes from the portion size - supposedly about what you would feed your cat.

The serving portion is very popular here in Yogyakarta because the town is full of students who really can't afford too much else.

It comes on a banana leaf and then wrapped in something akin to butcher paper.

My street vendor is a sweet little old lady who wakes up at 3 am every morning to make her food and be out on the street by 6. She usually gives me a slightly more ample portion than a cat would receive, but it is enough to keep me going until lunch time.

Here is a picture:
Today I got yellow rice with chicken. There are always peanuts and some fried tempe bits to mix with the rice. Also some egg strands. Some days I forgo the chicken and just get a fried egg.

All in all, a very good breakfast for about 7,500 rupiah ($0.80). Today was actually a little pricey because I sprang for chicken. If I stick to just egg it costs 5,500 rupiah ($0.60).

4 comments:

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

That looks amazing and now I am craving the pork and rice I ate most morning in Cambodia.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post about Fudge. However, your meal does look delicious. And, for the price, it's very nice! Here, that would be 3.00 or more! Enjoy for me, looks delicious!

Kristen said...

I would like it better if it actually contained cat. I wonder what cat tastes like... I bet not good.