Sunday, January 9, 2011

Come Fly the Friendly Skies

I originally wrote a long rant about United Airlines. Then I realized how boring it was. If I was bored with it, I am sure that no one else would enjoy it.

So I decided instead to just mention a few highlights of my travels across the world.

(1) A Frenchman stole my aisle seat from Salt Lake to Chicago. I could have fought him for it. I clearly had 11B on my ticket, while he had 11A. But then I would have been stuck next to an angry Frenchman for the flight. I weighed my options and gave him the seat.

(2) At approximately 1 am MST on January 8, our plane flew through some clear skies over Russia. I had gotten up to stretch my legs, so I looked out the window at the back of the plane. I had never seen Russia before. It was beautiful! Funny how some things just strike you at weird moments. We were flying over a frozen river as it snaked through mountain valleys. Seeing the snow-covered Siberian mountains captivated me. I stared at them for almost a half hour.

(3) “Ramona and Beezus” is a really good movie! That may have been the 30+ hours without sleeping or the stark contrast with such films as “You Again” and “Charlie St. Cloud,” but “Ramona and Beezus” won me over. At the end I even got a little misty eyed. It gets my full recommendation.

(4) I sat next to a lovely family from Chicago on their way to adopt a little girl from China. They had been waiting for over 3 years, and this was the first time they were going to get to see the baby. After two weeks filling out paperwork in China, they were going to get to take their baby home. I was impressed at how much they already loved the child they had never met. It was kinda sweet. (Again, this might be the sleep-deprivation talking).

(5) I am pretty darn fortunate. The majority of people in the US don't even have a passport (about 28% do according to a 2008 US Government Report). And here I am, traveling overseas for another year. So few people get to experience what I do. Of course, it isn't for everyone. The jet lag alone gets worse each time, but it is a rare opportunity the Lord has blessed me with. And I am grateful for it.

OK – enough with the squishy feelings. Here are some pictures from the assorted airports I went through.

Salt Lake City Airport Recycles!
Chicago's O'Hare Airport is not fun. And doesn't have nearly enough seating.
Hong Kong's airport is cavernous.
Singapore's airport is my favorite. Notice all the free internet consoles!
And it has an elephant fountain!

I forgot to take a picture in Jakarta. I was just excited to get out of the airport.

PS – I recommend not flying with United Airlines across the Pacific Ocean. That is all.


1 comment:

Katey said...

Ok I have to agree...Ramona and Beezus is a really good movie. The kids I babysit wanted to watch it and I ended up loving it and I too may had some "misty eyes". Glad you made is safely to your new home!