Sunday, September 4, 2011

God Be With You

 The day I have been anticipating for months has come. Yesterday my four remaining young men departed to become missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Our Elders... excuse the serious expression; it was a sad day.
Also departing tomorrow is another friend from church. He will be in Hawaii for the next few years to take advantage of a scholarship in the USA.

I am very proud of each of them. They are among the world's choice young men, and I believe they will be great missionaries (one will make a great student – he has already served a mission). Despite obstacles and challenges they faced, they made the right decision. I firmly believe that an honorable mission is the most valuable thing a young man can ever engage in. Close behind that is furthering one's education.

Eight months ago when I arrived in Indonesia, I was concerned about finding a support network at church. After a short time in-country, I contacted my friend who is now leaving for Hawaii and asked for his help. I needed friends at church.

Since that time he and his brother have kept tabs on me. They, along with the other young men in the branch, have provided me with more blessings than I can count. Anytime I have been homesick or have needed a friend, at least one of them has been around to help. They have repeatedly raided my fridge, accompanied me on trips, worn my UNO cards ragged, and provided enough faith and courage to get me through some difficult days.
Here we are in front of the church
Their friendship has been a gift from God.

I find comfort today in the wise words of Tolkien, “I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah! That's so sad yet happy! Couldn't agree more about an honorable mission being the most valuable thing a YM can do. I really think missions are more about changing the YM/YW than about finding converts. It's our modern-day Zion's Camp, for sure!

Don't know what I would have done in every new place I moved to without a support network at church. That has made all the difference for me, especially in foreign countries. I hope the branch survives without them, and good luck coping!