Today I was chatting with an American
friend who has been here for about one month. He asked me this
question, “Do you ever get desensitized to the fact you are in
Indonesia?”
I do. There are hundreds of little
things I don't even notice anymore.
So tonight I am blogging about one
night in Yogyakarta. Well, in truth only about two hours. I made
mental notes about all of the little things, and some of the big
things, that frequently occur here. Everything that occurred from the
time I went to dinner to the time I returned home.
I would prefer to have pictures, but I
didn't take my camera. Plus, I'm not sure that snapshots could
capture the evening's events. So I will try to describe it as best I
can with words.
It is Saturday night here (Malam
Minggu), which means it is busy.
Everyone goes out on Saturday nights. The streets are crowded with
motorcycles and cars and buses, but mostly motorcycles.
I
pulled up to my favorite Chinese restaurant, which is actually a
storefront nestled in the middle of a bunch of other storefronts
along a busy road. Since it was night, most of the stores are closed.
In front of them have sprung up street-sellers (warung),
as happens every evening. They have canvas and plastic banners,
plastic or wooden benches and chairs, and mobile kitchens.
Motorcycles
and cars are parked along the side of the road in uneven clusters
around the restaurants. I pulled up and was directed to park on the sidewalk by
the parking attendant (juru parkir).
These guys are everywhere. They guard parked cars and bikes; they
also help you navigate back onto the road when you are ready to go.
I sat
down in the restaurant. The kitchen is in front. It is open air, and you can watch them prepare your food
for you. I prefer this because I then know that my food has been recently cooked. Tonight there were three cooks, each manning
a large wok over an open gas flame. I sat down and made my order
(stir fried beef), and directed my attention to a tv on the wall near
the kitchen. It was a soccer game.
As I
sat, the cooks kept stealing glances at the game.
I sat
and ate for a few minutes before the first beggar arrived. There are
two words for beggar in Indonesian. Pengamis and
pengamen. Pengamis
literally means beggar, but
pengamen means singing
beggar. The former sit on the side of roads and hold out their hands.
The later come to you. They then sing or play an instrument or find
some other way to make themselves annoying until you pay them. I
try to always carry coins in my pocket to get rid of them.
Anyways,
the first beggar came in and played his guitar and sang. I stared at
the soccer game on TV to pretend to ignore him. Eventually I just
pulled out 300 rupiah to get rid of him.
He
left. Then the next set of beggars arrived. These were waria
or cross dressers. The ugliest cross dressers you can imagine. One
stood outside the restaurant and banged some clackers together while
singing. The other went from table to table singing and holding out
an empty cup. I waved him/her off. All my coins went to the first
beggar. I just wanted to finish my dinner in peace.
A
short time later I went up to pay for dinner. The woman who partially
runs the restaurant smiled and asked me for 22,000 rupiah. My meal
should have cost 24,000, but she regularly gives me small discounts
because I am a regular. Indonesians do that a lot. Prices always
fluctuate.
I went
out and got on my motorbike, paid the parking attendant (1,000
rupiah), and was on my way. I decided to pass the church, as
sometimes people are there on Saturday evenings. No such luck.
So I
prepared to make a right-hand turn at the traffic light. There I was
behind two young men on a motorbike sitting much closer than would
ever be acceptable in the US. Here it is normal. People are much more
comfortable being close to each other than we are back home. Touching
is normal. Americans have this bubble of personal space that keeps us
from touching one another.
Anyways,
the light turned green and I continued on my journey. A subsequent red
light, though, left me fuming. First, we had to stop for a long time.
Many red lights here have counters. This one is a 106 second wait.
Finally, just as it was our turn for green, a cop walked out into the
intersection. He stopped all traffic so a motorcade of government
vehicles could pass the intersection unhindered. Just as they passed,
our light turned red again and we got to wait another 106 seconds.
If
government officials here had to sit and wait in traffic, I am pretty
sure they would take fixing traffic problems more seriously. Instead
they flaunt the police power for personal comfort.
Well,
life goes on, and so does traffic. Eventually I stopped at another
light. Waiting for cross traffic to finish, I witnessed two girls on
an automatic scooter crash into another scooter. They were hurrying
through the light after it had turned red and not paying attention.
Both
motorcycles fell in the center of the intersection. Interestingly,
the first people out into the street to help the unfortunate folks
get up were the street beggars who regularly inhabit the
intersection. Interesting.
After
a moment or two the girls and their victim were all safely off to the
side of the road. Personally, I take extra care around teen or
college-age girls on motorbikes here. While it is often a bad to
generalize, I do so for my own safety. Much like teen girls
everywhere, these girls are addicted to texting, chatting, and
generally not paying attention when driving (yes they text with one
hand while driving a motorbike with the other). I regularly witness
motorbike accidents here, and more times than not the culprit is a young woman
not paying attention.
Perhaps
I am being sexist, but in matters of possible injury or death to
myself, I don't feel bad about it. Thus far it has worked well for me.
Then
it was on toward home. Before I got there though, I ran into a
traffic jam. On an island roughly the size of Louisiana, there are
135+ million people. And they all either want a motorcycle or a car.
There just aren't enough roads. Shortly before the turn-off to get
home, the road narrows into a single lane. Thus
traffic jams.
Finally
I got home.
And
that is just an average night in Yogyakarta.

2 comments:
I enjoyed your story! It's interesting how normal things can start to seem to be when you're in a different place, but when you start to describe it to someone, you realize how bizarre it all is.
The traffic sounds scary. I would be terrified to drive around there!
That was so fun to read! I love that you actually did a map and labeled places on it. I am not that talented, but it looks like you are a pro at maps/charts.
"Desensitized" to being in Indonesia. Funny choice of words....
Not that I ever rode a motorbike, but I loved the juru parkir. It just felt like people were so helpful all the time! Or maybe I'm naive. That sounds like lots of beggars though. I eventually figured out the necessity of keeping some change in my pocket, but it always seemed like I never had enough.
You're not being sexist. Youngish females don't pay attention. I know because I was one of them. BUT, youngish guys are reckless. So, it's a toss up with who is worse to drive around. I just wish the Asians would get off the streets in Indiana. Ha! And American personal space...yes, we like it. If you want to play a fun game, sit what I call "uncomfortably close" to an American (especially guys). My brothers and the USINDO guys hated it, but I thought it was pretty funny...as long as you're honest about what you're doing!
Hope this most recent Saturday night was equally exciting!
Post a Comment