Saturday, September 17, 2011

Mango Season

I don't have much to post about this week. My continuing efforts to write part of my dissertation have produced 50+ pages of typed material (this is just what I have written this week - I have hundreds of pages of notes from my time here).

Anyways, the most exciting thing in my life this week is the fact that mango season has started! This puppy cost me about $0.10... Probably paid way too much for it, but I was in a hurry. I could pick some up off the ground if I wanted, but I don't trust the ground here.

Indonesians also have an awesome way of eating mangoes. Rather than skin the fruit (as I saw in Thailand), they cut off a slice, then cut lines in the meat. You then pop the skin inside out and just eat the protruding cubes.


So I came home from church today and rustled one out of my fridge. Mmmm... after-church mango.

Great jorb, Indonesia. Great jaerb!!  (click the link to understand the reference)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think it's been years since I looked at homestarrunner...that was pretty funny. I love the one about How to Write an English Paper. Used to show it to my writing class students.

Sad I missed mango season because then maybe I would actually like mangoes. Indonesia cured me of my distaste for coconut so I was hoping it would do the same with my distaste for mango. Enjoy all the cheap, delicious fruit! Fruit can definitely make life more exciting. And I just can't get my avocado smoothies to turn out like the ones from the UGM cantine...

Jess said...

That was my favorite season in Cambodia too? I still can't bring myself to each mangos in the US, they just don't compare.