Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chiang Mai I

Chiang Mai, for those who don't know, is a provincial capital about 400 miles north of Bangkok, give or take. It is very popular with tourists for many reasons: the climate is cooler, the scenery is beautiful, the people are welcoming, and there are many natural and man-made diversions available.

I had some interviews for my research in the city last week, so on Wednesday I boarded a bus for a quick few days. I was also using the time to reconnect with an old friend named Bond. We served our missions together about 10 years ago, but haven't seen each other since. Since we did so much there, I am going to put together a few posts over the next couple days that cover what I did in Chiang Mai.

This post is about Doi Suthep, the mountain directly to the west of the city. It is famous for the Buddhist temple which adorns its top.

As I had an interview scheduled for the early afternoon, Bond and I decided to make a morning trip up the mountain then return in time for my interview. Bond suggested going up to see the sunrise, which I had never done before. Since I am an early riser anyways, I consented. We left the city at 5 am.
On the way up, we stopped at an overlook and gazed down at the city lights. The camera failed to capture them very well. 

We continued up the mountain to the parking area. Then it was a short hike up a long flight of stairs to the temple. The inside of the temple was well-lit with floodlights and candles. The gold-plating gave off a beautiful glow.
 This is the main cedi, which was completely deserted at 5:30 am. I have been to this temple before, but have never been able to take such a nice picture. My friend and wandered around in amazement. Usually this area is thronged with tourists and people making merit.
The moon was out as well.
On this morning we were the only people in the temple aside from a couple drunk (so-drunk-they-couldn't-stand-up-straight-yet-had-driven-themselves-up-the-mountain) men trying to conduct merit. I guess the sign in the previous post was there for a good reason. 
The monks, meanwhile, were conducting morning prayers.

We then moved outside the main complex to observe the sunrise over the valley.
 Shortly thereafter, the monks moved out of the main temple to begin their morning chores.
These included sweeping the temple.
 Also walking among the surrounding villages to collect food for the day. You can see these monks carrying their daily food back to the living area. 

We also wandered around the temple taking some pictures.
 This is the base of a lamp post.
 This reminds me of Alien... you know when the alien opens its mouth and a smaller alien comes out?
 This is called a "Mom." Yep, pronounced just like "mom." It is the guardian of temple doorways.
 These bells can be rung for luck. There is a sequence or secret to it, but I never took the time to figure it out.
Here I am with Bond. As you can see, there were still not many people around, so we set the camera up on a timer.

If you go to Chiang Mai, you will NOT see the Doi Suthep Temple this quiet. I was truly amazed. On the previous occasions I have had to go there, I have had a hard time elbowing my way through the crowds. 5 am is definitely the time to go. 

No comments: