For some time I have meant to go to Lumphini Park. It is a park in central Bangkok comparable to Central Park in New York. I went there once on my mission, but haven't been back since.
As I had no laundry to do this morning (Saturday), it was the perfect time to go. I boarded the subway at about 6:30 am and headed to Silom Station, which has an exit at the park entrance. I went early to avoid the heat of the day and to people watch. The park is well known for drawing crowds on the weekend.
Here is the entrance. The statue is of King Vajiravudh who created the park in 1925.
Entering the park you can access some maps. It is fairly expansive. There is a 2.5 kilometer (1.5 mile) jogging path along with ponds and fountains.
Looking back at the King Vajiravudh statue, you are reminded that no matter how peaceful the park is, you are still in Bangkok.
On weekend mornings, the park is full of people exercising in groups. Here are a few examples.
Jazzercise?
The jogging path. A veritable cornucopia of the elderly, sweat, and short shorts.
Chinese arm waving exercise. Amazing how sweaty you can get just waving your arms.
Sadly, I was too bashful to take pictures of my favorites: a small group of old women using bright red Chinese fans and a series of Kung Fu - style moves; three men with beautiful swords going through a series of martial arts exercises; and a karate class. I now regret not being a picture-hungry Western tourist.
There are a number of monuments and statues along the jogging path.
A Chinese shrine. Notice the white hippies inside. One has dreadlocks and smelled really bad.
The Thailand China Friendship Pavilion. If you don't know, Bangkok has a large Chinese population, many of whom are naturalized Thai citizens. Walking around the park you hear a lot of Chinese spoken.
Thailand benefits from having integrated the Chinese immigrant community much better than other Southeast Asian nations (If you are interested, ask me about this sometime; I can give lectures on it).
A mother and child.
This one is titled, "Women in the Next Three Decades." Perhaps reflecting McDonald's expansion in Asia???
The Sundial.
Don't really know what this one was. It looks victorious. Or perhaps it commemorates a rousing rendition of the Village People's "YMCA."
An island in the center of the lake is paved with smurf turf!!!!
You can also ride a swan boat in the lake for 40 baht ($1.15).
I, unfortunately, could not find a swan boat partner. Nothing is sadder than a dude setting sail alone in a swan boat built for two.
The park also has some wildlife.
Six-foot long water monitor lizards.
They swim around in the park's ponds and hang out on the banks. I guess they are pretty peaceful, as people and lizards were just hanging out together throughout the park.
In the US, we have squirrels. In Thailand, they have humongous lizards. Not as cute and cuddly, but probably better at making sure the homeless people don't sleep overnight in the park.
The park is also special for Mormons as it was the place where President Gordon B. Hinkley dedicated Thailand for the preaching of the gospel (he was then an Apostle, not yet the president of the church).
He did so near this clock tower in November of 1966.
Well, that about concludes this tour of Lumphini Park. Here are just some nice scenery shots.
A pretty tree in an open field. Notice the yellow flowers. I like that tree.
A peaceful shot of the lake. Notice the man sleeping in the bottom left-hand corner. The park is a popular spot for some of the poorer people of Bangkok to get away from the city for a while and take a nap. Probably more reminiscent of home than the hot, dirty city outside the gates.
I almost felt tempted to join him.
No comments:
Post a Comment